Valencia, Spain is definitely improving in its efforts to accommodate vegetarians (vegetarianos/as), vegans (veganos/as), and celiacs (celiacos/as) or those who choose a gluten-free diet (sin gluten).
It seems that every time we go out we are lucky enough to discover new places with vegan and gluten-free options. When traveling or living in Spain, be very cautious when ordering. Many spaniards have a different view of vegetarian and vegan than in other parts of the world and often assume that you will still eat seafood, cheese, and/or eggs. It is typical to find tuna (atún) on most vegetarian sandwiches and salads. In my experience, it is best to list all of the ingredients you DO NOT want in your meal.
Here are a few translated words and phrases, related to vegetarianism, to help you out.
“I am vegan”- “Soy vegana”
“I have/am celiac”- “Soy celiaca”
“I cannot eat anything that comes from an animal” – “No puedo comer nada de origen animal”
“Only vegetables”- “Solo verduras”
“No gluten”- “Sin gluten”
“I don’t want…”- “No quiero…”
seafood and shellfish- pescado y mariscos
Vegan and gluten-free options in Valencia, Spain
Opciones para veganos y celiacos en Valencia, Spain
Here is a list of some of my favorite restaurants, cafes, bars, and markets that are wonderful at accommodating a vegan and gluten-free (sin gluten) diet. I will continue to provide more detailed reviews and menu options from each of these establishments. Good luck and enjoy!
1. Celiacruz Cafetería y Pastelería located in Russafa
– Cute cafe and gluten-free bakery in the heart of the trendy neighborhood of Russafa. Various baked goods sin gluten including gluten-free croissants, cakes, empanadas, fresh baguettes, pizza, and my favorite… gluten-free donuts! Other food allergies are clearly listed on all products. Great options for vegetarians and vegans. Read my review on their vegan, gluten-free brunch!
– Various options for all types of diets. Great to go with your omnivore friends. Menu items are clearly labeled with options for vegetarian, lactose-free and vegan diets. Gluten-free sandwiches, burgers, starters, and salads are available. The owner and chef are incredibly knowledgeable about food allergies and eager to help!
– Grupo Copenhagen has three vegetarian restaurants located in Valencia. Restaurante Copenhagen and Restaurante Malmö are located in Russafa. Restaurante Oslo is located in the city center in Barrio del Carmen. These restaurants have a unique, upscale, creative take on recipes and never disappoint! These are by far my favorite vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Valencia. All menu items are clearly labeled with ingredients and various possible food allergies. Great for dates and great for groups.
– An adorable restaurant, perfectly situated in Russafa, near Gran Via. They are open for lunch and have a great 10 euro menu Monday-Friday. Plenty of vegan recipes and they always provide options for celiacs. Arrive early if you can- they are super popular and often run out of the menu items!
– Definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Valencia. Although they are famous for their acai bowls, their menu is packed with various vegan and gluten-free options. Located in the historic city center, near the central mercado, they are the perfect stop for a healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
6. Azúcar de Coco and Guayoyo
– Stop in these cafes for some healthy, tasty treats. Both are familiar with vegan and gluten-free diets and you are sure to find options to satisfy your cravings. Azúcar de Coco has amazing juices and smoothies while Guayoyo offers up a delicious brunch selection. Call ahead or stop by to inquire about options for your dietary needs.
– Located in Alboraya, within walking distance from the beach. This pizzeria makes the best, homemade, gluten-free pizza in Valencia. The restaurant is owned by an adorable Italian couple who make you feel at home during your dining experience. All menu items are clearly labeled with ingredients and related food allergies. Tip* finish off your meal with a homemade, gluten-free crepe or brownie!
– Authentic Mexican food is difficult to find in Spain. But I have to say, this restaurant hit the spot! Homemade refried beans, delicious guacamole, “real” loaded nachos, vegetarian tamales… my taste buds were happy. They offer a mid-week lunch menu for 9 euros, including a drink and dessert. The staff are incredibly accommodating of requests for a vegan and gluten-free menu. Highly recommended! To read my restaurant review and for more photos, click here.
9. WACIS Ice cream sandwiches
– In the mood for a unique dessert? Try WACIS- We Are Californian Ice Cream Sandwiches. What’s better than a cookie? Two cookies! And even better than that? A scoop of ice cream between those cookies! WACIS has gluten-free cookies as well as vegan ice cream options. Check out my review here.
10. Organic, Healthfood, and Natural Markets in Valencia, Spain:
– L’hortet in Russafa– Small, neighborhood market with a great selection of organic foods, produce and household products. You can find peanut butter and coconut oil here! They also offer yoga classes.
– Mercado de Ruzafa– Great options for local produce. Look for the stall, Mercat Russafa Zona Sin, for various gluten-free products.
– Respetarte Ecotienda– A market in Russafa dedicated to healthy food options. Cozy up with a hot tea and a vegetarian cook book as you explore their selection of vegan and gluten-free options. The owners are amazing and are willing to order any specific product you have been searching for! They also offer fun, healthy cooking classes.
– Mercado Cabanyal– A new favorite local market of mine. I love shopping side-by-side the locals here. Come on a Thursday morning to hit up the street market right outside the mercado’s doors. Mercat Cabanyal has a stall called, Burger Cris, which offers homemade vegan burgers, vegetarian sushi, natural hummus, and other various vegan and gluten-free options. Call ahead and they will prepare anything you want or need. 647 712 041 – 96 371 77 09. Follow their Facebook page, Bioaliment, here.
– Ecorgánic Ecomarket– an ecological, organic super market with two convenient locations in Valencia. They have a variety of produce, fresh foods, and organic packaged foods. This is the perfect store to stock up on safe, organic, natural household items. In addition, they have an entire section of gluten-free products. Some of their great items: vitamins, natural dish and laundry soap, natural baby products, vegan pesto, coconut oil, tempeh and tofu, sugar-free almond milk, gluten-free bread and baked goods.
– Herbolario Navarro– another great option for vegan and gluten-free grocery shopping. A large, healthfood market located in the city center. You can also order conveniently online. Some great items: vitamins, peanut butter, tempeh and tofu, gluten-free baking mixes, almond oil. This location even has an onsite restaurant and bakery.