For all types of friends…
I always struggled with buying shower gifts for expecting mothers. I wanted to get them something that they would use, but I also wanted to be authentic and get them something unique or “cool”. Something that would be meaningful coming from ME.
There are always going to be the practical moms out there who bring the anal thermometer and diaper cream. I for one, was never one of the friends that wanted to go shopping for these practical mom-gifts because I figured someone else would do it.
Read below to find my Top Picks for Baby Shower Gifts for all types of moms and all types of friends!
Ditch the Desitin and go natural!
– Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm
Natural, chemical-free bath time goodies
– Earth Mama Angel Baby Non-Scents Body Wash/Shampoo
Clothes are always super fun to shop for. If you opt for clothes, check out small businesses such as L’oved Baby’s organic newborn gowns or radRevolution’s comfy tank-top rompers.
Tiny humans are more likely to be sporting a bib and a diaper under a cute blanket, than that awesome $50.00 sweater you got them at Zara Kids.
So, here are my favorite picks to cozy up with baby.
– Muslin Blankets (versatile, convenient, and adorable)
My favorite brand is Modern Burlap for their monochrome designs (which benefit the development of babies’ eyesight). These blankets are great to use as swaddles, but also to throw in the diaper bag to be used as a picnic blanket or beach towel, to cozy up with in the stroller, or to be used as a nursing cover… you name it!
And my personal favorite…
Top brand right now? Check out the Ollie Swaddle! It’s truly a miracle swaddle, reducing irritability and helping babies (and mamas) sleep longer.
Check out these trendy finds for baby!
– Knockaround sunglasses through Honest Co.
Moccasins and handmade baby shoes are all the rage right now. Here is my favorite shop for leather slippers made by a mama of twins, from France.
– Owo Shoes (find on Etsy or follow her on Instagram)
Leggings are the perfect way to spice up an outfit!
– Shop Born Savage has great leggings and tees for both children and adults!
Choose a gift just for your friend, the mama-to-be. Nothing wrong with pampering her now before the baby is born!
– Baby-wearing is all the rage. Check out these gorgeous Girasol Ringslings, made in Guatemala!
– Maternity hospital gown, also great as a nursing gown
(Choose either a kimono-style or one that opens entirely in the front)
– This 4-in-1 nursing cover from Covered Goods allows you to nurse anywhere, anytime in style! Check out their shop for various colors and styles.
– Giftcards for a prenatal massage, prenatal yoga classes, or a pedicure are a great way to show your mama friend that you are thinking about her. Plus, self-care is a crucial piece of a healthy pregnancy! Check out my previous post on 6 Simple Ways to Take Care of Yourself and Baby During Pregnancy to learn more!
Many moms-to-be don’t want to hassle with all the “stuff” or luxuries for baby. For these moms, choosing a practical gift is best. Some practical gift ideas are baby bottles, diapers, first aid kits, nursing pads, baby-safe cleaning supplies, etc.
Two of my favorite gift ideas that walk the line of “practical”, but can still be “cool” are baby books and diaper bags. After all, reading to babies is crucial for their social and language development. And… you are going to need a place to put all of those practical gifts…right???
– Check out Lil Libros bilingual books and classic stories from Babylit Books
– Click here to read my post on Top 5 Stylish “Diaper Bags” for the Modern Mom
DIY gifts are a great way to personalize a present for a mom-to-be and can also save you a lot of money. Here are some of my favorite ideas for DIY or expense-free shower gifts.
– Print some of the family’s professional maternity photos in frames, on canvas, or in a photobook
– DIY decorations for the nursery
– Organize a meal plan for when after the baby is born
* https://www.mealtrain.com or http://www.mealbaby.com*
– Create a certificate for free babysitting once the baby is born
– DIY belly butter to promote self-massage and reduce stretch marks
Most importantly, have fun with your gift-giving. Let your gift not only be a great fit for the mama-to-be, but allow it to come from YOUR heart and express some of YOUR personality too!